Thursday, November 10, 2011

What to grow in my greenhouse....

So progression on my greenhouse is a bit slower than I planned.  I had hoped to have it functional and ready Saturday Nov. 5th.  Finances are not as available as I'd thought they'd be; they ended up fixing vehicles and buying food lol. (I do get paid tomorrow though.. so we'll see where we are at with $$.  I may cheat and make a greenhouse using only the bottom shelf since I can get that grow light from my dad.  That way I can at least get stuff started in dirt.)


The cool thing about this is that I don't have to use all the space but if I need to or want to I can.  I thought the dip in our ceiling would prevent me from having anything too tall, but where it sits is just a few inches away from the dip.  :)


To get the greenhouse completed I need to order another set of poles to make the shelving unit taller and thus give more space between each shelf.  I also need to pick up grow lights for the shelves I plan to use right now and pick up a shallow plastic tub to catch any condensation, just in case.  I don't want to ruin my dinner table.  My step-dad has one grow light and a few timers he is not using so I'll get those from him too.  The final thing I will do is cut the plastic and velcro it to the unit.


What will I be growing, you ask??  Well, I want to start some fruit since it will take more than a season to be able to produce edible fruit.  I'm thinking of strawberries and pineapple.  When local nurseries open for spring I'll also try to pick up some blueberries.


I've done quite a bit of research about growing pineapple and strawberries.  Everyone says it can be done various ways.  My plan is to try a few of them and document the process and any success I have and then share the info with you guys.  Well that is all for tonight.  Cross your fingers for extra money in the bank tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment